Fawning a Cat ...

Monday, July 04, 2005


A flashy feline in passing, from my Himalayan winter trek '04.

How tough it is to fawn a cat? ... :-)

It's a daunting task, at the very least. If you go by the popular saying, cat's are not loyal. But I guess its not like that. It's more like they, cat's, are such self absorbed creatures. So it's more like, Did ya say low-yell? How d'ya pronounce it by the way? Well, so the question of whether they are loyal doesn't make much sense as opposed to with a nice lil dogie. Dogs are much more social animals. As a wild pack, they have much elaborate social etiquettes; to display obedience, leadership, territories, submission, protection and all that sort. But cats are more hermetic in nature. There's a certain flimsy air of abandon about cats, if you look at the way they sleep lazily, eyes half-shut. So they don't probably care, unless they have to.

But cat's can love, very much maybe. And obviously it is different from a dog's love. A dog's love is a sure thing, for him and you as well, and both know it, as in you know for sure where you stand with a dog. So may be it's like cruising gently in a sturdy Bullet, The motor cycle, enjoying the breeze, and the majestic grunt of the 350cc engine; stable and sure. But with a cat, I should say it would be like the key maker perched behind Trinity on the Ducati, as it swishes through the freeway traffic at break-neck speeds. Every strand of your hair stands upright, but you never know what you are gonna head into, the next moment. Might be stretching it a bit, probably. But definitely you can love a cat, and its soft purr as you scratch behind its ears is as enjoyable as the tickling sensation of a dog licking you up.

A chance quote to spice this up:

ChrissyCat used to lie lengthwise along my chest as I lay on the couch, her face very close to mine. She'd sniff my breath and then bite my chin very, very gently, purring so loudly I could feel the vibration, the pinpricks of her teeth making my eyes water (or maybe the latter was from allergies). I was genuinely sad when I heard that she had died.

Ok, so maybe I'm not as much of a cat-hater as I try to make myself out to be. Maybe cats just make me feel insecure because they seem to know everything. Maybe it's because they seem to know that they own us, instead of the other way around.

--Anonymous.

0 comments: