Snakes and Ladders ...

Monday, October 11, 2010



Everyday morning I play this game; game of snakes and ladders.

In mornings, I zig-zag through a chaotic maze of traffic laden roads to reach my office. For a sky dwelling God who does play dice, the tiny red dot of my car moving through this plane far below could very much appear like a coin moved through a snake and ladder board. There are five traffic signals on my way to office from home. As I shift through this game board, the sky dwelling God rolls his dice. I speedily approach a traffic signal from afar; the dice stops; the traffic signal suddenly transforms into a snake; or a ladder; dictated by the dice.

Its a snake; its green now; am rushing towards it, the last car in front of me is passing under the green light, and it turns red; it unleashes a barrage of vehicles from the other side. I am swallowed by the snake, set back, bogged down, for minutes before it lets me go.

Sometimes its a ladder; its green now; am rushing towards it, the last car in front me is passing under the green light, and it stays green; I glide past unhindered. I have climbed up the ladder, shaving off minutes from my lap time.

God rolls his dice again. I am nearing the next snake; or ladder.

1 comments:

Sudeep said...

Thank the heavens that you do not go back to a traffic signal that you crossed once :-)